RENOVATION of the SUPERINTENDENT’S HOUSE
In 1780 Abraham Shepherd conveyed one acre to the Elders of the Shepherdstown Presbyterian Church in the northeast corner of what is today Elmwood Cemetery. This is the oldest part of the present cemetery. In 1833 the Methodist Church purchased one-half acre from Jacob Line that abutted the south border of the Presbyterian Grave Yard. Originally, the two cemeteries were separated by a cast iron fence.
The Southern Soldiers’ Memorial Association formally purchased a “piece of land" from Jacob Line in 1868 which joined the southern boundary of the Methodist Cemetery. This ground was intended as a permanent resting place for Confederate soldiers who were either killed at the Battle of Sharpsburg or died from wounds received there. A total of 114 men, many unknown, are interred here. The cemetery was officially dedicated on Confederate Memorial Day June 5, 1869.